[wplug] Linux on Mac questions

Steven Leach stevenaleach at mac.com
Tue Feb 24 13:58:04 EST 2004

In regards to questions 2 and 3:

Depending on your purpose, you might find (as I did) that OS X makes
installing Linux unnecessary or even counter productive.  I bought an
eMac when they were first released to the general public with the
intention of installing Yellow Dog.  After playing with OS X for a
while, I never bothered installing Linux.  OS X is a complete Unix
system, not just a Mac OS on top of some hidden BSD core.  Every tool
that you would expect to find under Linux or *BSD is provided.  You can
even run X on top of the aqua desktop (or presumably instead of the
aqua desktop).

I now have two x86 systems running Debian and two Macs (an eMac and an
iBook) running OS X.