[wplug] Re: linux on sony vaio PCG FRV 26

Dileep Padinjarae Vangasseri dileep.pv at operamail.com
Mon Feb 23 10:59:04 EST 2004

Hello,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I was working hard on it and even with my nominal knowledge on installations I could make some of the stuffs work.

First, I could install an ntfs module in RH 9 kernel and could mount windows. Got the "free" driver (capable of giving only 14 kbps) from linuxant and made the modem work.

However, I am still unable to get the 2D acceleration for my radeon card. The problem with the monitor also remain unsolved. (Yes, I had used laptop display on generic). I contacted many who has tried RH 9 on sony PCG FRVs but all of them are having the same problem.

> It would be best to upgrade to the latest packages, but that's going to be difficult to do unless you've got an Ethernet based broadband connection available.  Not saying that you'll have your issues solved by this, but on a
> fresh install you are quite a bit behind on XFree86 (and a skew of other) updates.  You say you've set your monitor to "generic" - is that generic CRT or generic LCD?  It needs to be the latter.
redhat-configure-xfree --reconfig

It is possible for me to get an ethernet broad band connection. Could you please suggest me what can I do to get the monitor functioning better?

>Vaio's are arguably some of the most difficult laptops to >load linux on - but it can be done in most cases. Sony is >notorious for making WinPuters.

Oh...I did not know that. I would have gone for something else if I had known this. A bit off the topic, which notebook would a better buy if one is interested for a linux OS? I know that IBM support linux very well but it is often unaffordable.

Yes, I have never tried Fedora. I think I should have a look at it.

Thanking you,

With best regards,

Dileep