[wplug] new HDD

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sat Feb 21 22:14:37 EST 2004

Sometime in February Brandon Kuczenski assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| These are great - thanks.  This is especially good since I'm beginning to
| design some kind of 'backup' regimen.  I was planning to just write a
| handful of scripts myself, but it occurs to me that there is probably some
| kind of 'standard' tool that people use to perform routine, maybe
| incremental, compressed backups.  Is there?  It seems like 'tar' is the
| right tool to me.

not to harp on rsync or anything ;), but it works really well for backups,
including incremental stuff.  i started with the first script on this page:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/examples.html

and modified it to have a daily backup with 7 day incremental. it works
really well if you have the extra space.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E