[wplug] new HDD

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sat Feb 21 21:56:49 EST 2004

Sometime in February Jonathan S. Billings assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I probably would have done this:
|
| cd /home;
| tar cpf - . | (cd /temp1; tar xpvf -)
|
| I use this style quite often, even for copying data to other systems,
| like:
|
| cd /home;
| tar cpf - . | ssh foobar.baz.com "cd /temp1; tar xpvf -"

in the theme of "there's more than one way to do it", i've found rsync is
good for this also:

rsync -av /home /temp1

and of course over ssh:

rsync -av -e "ssh -2" /home root at somecomputer:/temp1

though tar is, of course, everwhere while rsync might not be ;).

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E