[wplug] new HDD

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sat Feb 21 21:46:01 EST 2004

> the usage "df <filename>" gives you the disk usage on the partition
> where <filename> exists.  Since the *file* /dev/hda (the device file,
> not the actually partition) exists on your root partition, it will
> return the same results as /dev/hdb.
>
> Check this out:
>
> % df /dev/hda
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda                497829    225410    246717  48%
>
> % df /dev/hdb
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdb                497829    225410    246717  48%
>
> (and for giggles)
> % df /dev/mouse
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mouse              497829    225410    246717  48%

I see.. thanks.  I was a bit alarmed, but I looked in /var/log/messages
and I saw that it spotted my drive and named it /dev/hdb.  So I pressed
onward.  I then did something dumb, but have recovered: as root, I entered
'cp -rf /home/* /temp1' where temp1 was my temporary mount point for my
new drive.  It copied everything, but with root as the 0wnz0r.  (I also
stomped all the date-stamps).

It has since been fixed.  Except all my date stamps are for today, about
35 minutes ago.  And, now I know about cp -rfp.

Good thing I'm still the only user on this system... hehehe.

-Brandon