[wplug] help updating a kernel

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Fri Feb 20 20:50:34 EST 2004

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Nothing like jumping right in, eh?
>
> Well, turns out, to get the Centrino chip in this monster working I
> need a different kernel.
>
> Jonathan Billings kindly helped me get to the point of the compiling
> but, I'm now faced with never having updated a kernel this way.
>
> Anyone have a few minutes time to walk me through what I need
> to do to
> update this so I can move on to testing the drivers that are looking
> for the newer kernel?

What is it that you need that you cannot find in a pre-compiled binary?

Anyway - on RH:
up2date kernel-source

(download happens, install takes place)

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
cp ./configs/config-template-that-mathches-your-architeture ./.config
make oldconfig
make xconfig
(select all desired values / options / etc) save, exit
(make clean    not reall required)
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install