[wplug] GNU/Linux ?

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Feb 19 14:59:34 EST 2004

First off, it's obvious that most of you think that I was somehow slighting
the current membership profile of the list.  I wasn't.  Who would have
thought that comments on the undeniable decline of society at large would
offend so many.  Go figger.

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> Don, I think you're an asset to this list, but in this case I have to
> disagree with you.
>
> I could be wrong, but I don't think that Beth Lynn was going for the
> concept of "Open Licensed Software" (of course, I cannot
> speak for her,
> only what I've interpreted). I got the impression that she
> was more in
> favor of a list open to 'Open Licensed Operating Systems [with an
> incredibly strong emphasis on Unix-derived operating systems and the
> general topics that relate to them]'.
>
> Moreover, WPLUG has specifically and laudably created a wplug-bsd
> mailing list to focus the questions of BSD users more
> directly. As such,
> it is obvious that there is concern for keeping topics which are
> separate in nature in their respective domains.
	So what you're saying is that "Western Pennsylvania LINUX USERS
GROUP BSD" list is a logical extension?  My only point is that a LUG is a
LUG.  I'm not saying don't have an organization that does other things -
just don't call it a LUG.  I have been part of (and still belong to) groups
that have attempted to embrace the computing industry at large - and it
almost invariably fails, especially on unmoderated lists.  I already belong
to a group that panders to every whim - it's called Yahoo! Groups.
	I believe what was being discussed was a change in name to the
organization as a whole to reflect a more open architecture - and that's a
requirement IMNSHO if we're going to start talking about things non-Linux.
I know that GNU and other "open" licensed software runs on things other than
Linux - but that's not what I want to talk about as it in no way affects me
as a Linux user here to talk about Linux.

> Certainly, I don't believe that Beth Lynn was going for a 'this list
> is only for things that are distribution "out of the box" based...
> don't mention any software that isn't part of your base system here,
> buddy' mentality either (again, I DO NOT speak for Beth Lynn, and do
> not want
> this to stand for her opinion). Linux (and other *nix
> derivatives) are
> only as good as the sum of their parts. In a corporate setting, this
> means that Star/OpenOffice, PHP, wireless access points, and the SCO
> controversy are important. This is a Linux USERS Group... not a Linux
> Group, therefore I think that topics of and relating to the users'
> interaction with a Linux environment are highly applicable.
	Agreed - so how does entertaining BSD fit in that again?

> To use your analogy, I see the position which WPLUG takes as
> being akin
> to a reading group where people discuss both books as well as
> the movies
> that have a direct bearing on the books (or upon which the books have
> had a direct bearing). I have no problem with discussions meandering
> into the realm of 'related topics'. If it wasn't for 'related
> topics,' I wouldn't be using FreeBSD right now. I can thank Bill Moran
> of Potential
> Technologies for his well-done presentation  at a recent
> WPLUG meeting
> for introducing me to FreeBSD, and convincing me that it was better
> suited to my needs.
	I think that the group should open itself up.

	So let me start the "open" discussion.

	I have a 2001 Mustang Bullitt.  It has a supercharger and several
other modifications that have forced me to install an out-board engine
management processor and user tunable software.
	That software is written in C.
	I recently bought a set of new SOHC PI heads that I plan to port and
polish, and install a set of ModMax cams and oversized Ferrara valves.  When
I do the head swap I will also install a set of BBK long tube headers that
have been sitting in my garage for 6 months and upgrade to either 39 or 42
pound injectors (of which I have a set of each).
	Can anyone tell me where to get a set of aftermarket timing cams
(because the stock ones press on to the stock cams) and where I can get some
advice on setting up my initial timing as well as required changes to my
software?  I also have concerns over piston-to-valve clearance give stock CR
and the oversized valves.

	Now let me invite 150 of my Ford driving friends that use this
software to join discuss on a WPLUG list without cross-posting or getting
OT.

	I used the "reading group" analogy for a reason.  The reading groups
I belonged to were adamant about one thing - reading.

> Getting back to the whole 'diversification of WPLUG' issue, I
> am all for
> the venturing of WPLUG into adjacent categories of computing and
> computing related topics. I trust that the 'ruling council'
> will display
> the same care in the future that they have in the past (as
> exampled by
> the creation of the wplug-bsd list), by creating different venues for
> conversation over topics which aren't at home on the standard wplug
> mailing list.
	And I stand by my contention that WPLUG-BSD is an oxymoron.  Make it
WPOSS or WPOSUG or WPOSSE (the best so far) but it's _not_ a LUG if it's not
a LUG.  I continue to be amazed that few seem to see that if a list doesn't
talk about Linux (and I do acknowledge the "bleeds" you mention above) it's
just not a Linux list.

At the end of the day I'm just a cranky old man who has a delete key (and a
bitchin' Mustang) so just assume that I'll deal with it or go live in a
cave.

Don