[wplug] GNU/Linux ?

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Thu Feb 19 13:18:05 EST 2004

Don, I think you're an asset to this list, but in this case I have to
disagree with you.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Beth Lynn was going for the
concept of "Open Licensed Software" (of course, I cannot speak for her,
only what I've interpreted). I got the impression that she was more in
favor of a list open to 'Open Licensed Operating Systems [with an
incredibly strong emphasis on Unix-derived operating systems and the
general topics that relate to them]'.

Moreover, WPLUG has specifically and laudably created a wplug-bsd
mailing list to focus the questions of BSD users more directly. As such,
it is obvious that there is concern for keeping topics which are
separate in nature in their respective domains.

Certainly, I don't believe that Beth Lynn was going for a 'this list is
only for things that are distribution "out of the box" based... don't
mention any software that isn't part of your base system here, buddy'
mentality either (again, I DO NOT speak for Beth Lynn, and do not want
this to stand for her opinion). Linux (and other *nix derivatives) are
only as good as the sum of their parts. In a corporate setting, this
means that Star/OpenOffice, PHP, wireless access points, and the SCO
controversy are important. This is a Linux USERS Group... not a Linux
Group, therefore I think that topics of and relating to the users'
interaction with a Linux environment are highly applicable.

To use your analogy, I see the position which WPLUG takes as being akin
to a reading group where people discuss both books as well as the movies
that have a direct bearing on the books (or upon which the books have
had a direct bearing). I have no problem with discussions meandering
into the realm of 'related topics'. If it wasn't for 'related topics,' I
wouldn't be using FreeBSD right now. I can thank Bill Moran of Potential
Technologies for his well-done presentation  at a recent WPLUG meeting
for introducing me to FreeBSD, and convincing me that it was better
suited to my needs.

Getting back to the whole 'diversification of WPLUG' issue, I am all for
the venturing of WPLUG into adjacent categories of computing and
computing related topics. I trust that the 'ruling council' will display
the same care in the future that they have in the past (as exampled by
the creation of the wplug-bsd list), by creating different venues for
conversation over topics which aren't at home on the standard wplug
mailing list.

Sincerely,
  --Ben