[wplug] GNU/Linux ?

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Feb 18 10:57:16 EST 2004

Beth Lynn [bethlynn at wplug.org] wrote:
> Personally, I think that it would be silly to limit ourselves
> and to be forced to rename WPLUG something else.

If you're referring to opening the list to all "Open Licensed Software" (as
I think you are) then I totally, thoroughly, 100% disagree(*1).  If I want
to talk about BSD I know where to go.  I am here to talk about Linux, and
the components and issues that revolve around Linux distributions.  Period.
Likewise, if I really want to talk just about a specific
GNU/BSD/Pick-Yer-Open-License package I know where to go to find it.
	This list already has a dismal s/n ratio.  If you folks want an Open
Source Software list - start one elsewhere.  What you're suggesting is like
joining a reading discussion group, then suggesting that you all go out to
see a movie - because it's really the same thing after all.
	We have just such a splinter group here in Cleveland:
http://www.nooss.org/news/  The formation of this group and the influx of
total a-holes into the Cleveland LUG is what brought me (back) to WPLUG in
the first place..... (well, it was PLUG in 1995... No idea what ever became
of that group)

> Would we then have to tell the
> BSD folks that we have invited to go away just to please RMS?
	No - to please the people that are here to discuss Linux.  Ugh.
Perhaps I'm just tired of the "sensitivity" required by modern society, but
I am of the opinion that these folks can just go elsewhere - if they're too
stupid to know that a Linux group isn't the best place to ask for help
they're likely 1) too stupid to be running the software in the first place
and 2) too stupid to know what to do with the help you offer them.  Civility
is one thing, pandering to the lazy is another.
	Hell, over half the (legitimate) questions that have been posted by
noobs in the last year were answered within the first 3 hits on Google -
they can't even do that, much less crack a manual.
	I'm an old guy, and longevity on the 'Net has therefore made me
bitter, made me grow weary of those that can't fathom appropriate list usage
("me toos", "thank yous", "hey wasn't that SPAM funny!?!", top posting, off
topic crap, etc, etc, etc) - and lists that lack focus or management.  I'm a
dinosaur in a world where computing power is ever more being put into the
hands of bottom feeding idiots, so (fortunately for you, dear reader) I'm
very likely to wither and pass on, the whole time railing, railing at "the
state of things", than to see a "smartening" of the computing / Internet
world at large.

	Wow.  That was fun.

> It's my observation that this fine organization that calls itself
> "WPLUG" has become more of an Open Source Society than focused on
> GNU/Linux foo.
	And that, IMHO, is the results of poor group/list management......

> Since we've been WPLUG since 1997 why change? Ok, I
> admit I'm exhibiting a Pittsburgh attitude. Therefore I also insist
> on continuing to say Linux instead of GNU/Linux all the time.
	It's a matter of personal preference (RMS's whishes aside) but it
doesn't change the fact that they're arguably very inter-dependent.  I see
no cause for a name change, and certainly no cause for a re-definition of
this group to include things NOT Linux.

(*1) - if not, never mind.  Ha Ha.  Just kidding.  I love everyone.

My $.02 - flame on!
Don