[wplug] Will the real WPLUG please take charge

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Feb 17 10:57:44 EST 2004

Weber, Larry A wrote:
> I would support an effort that results in a serious information transfer
> opportunity for the attendees.  Passing out Linux demo disks is also great.
> I just don't think we should get involved with a room full of people playing
> games and spouting Linux rehtoric.

My final word on it is this.

I agree with what you support: serious information transfer.
I also agree with _some_ of what you think is bad: radical groups acting
  immaturely and associating themselves with us.

It boils down to this:  If you can think of any way to _guarantee_ that
we'll get the former and not the latter, then I'd like to hear it.

If you don't have a better idea, then I'm supporting Beth Lynn on this
effort, as I think it's a good gamble that it will turn out well.

We live in a world where a married president has sex with an intern and
nothing bad ever comes of it.  What on Earth are you afraid is going to
happen here?

Sitting back and doing nothing because we're afraid something bad might
happen isn't going to get anyone anywhere.  If you disagree, then I
recommend a refresher course in history.  Yes, there is a chance that
things might go wrong, there's also a chance that you'll get hit by
a truck and killed the next time you cross the street.  Hide in your
home if that's how you feel.

Fact is, this _will_ negatively influence some people.  Accept it right
now.  However, I feel the positive influence will be much higher, and
now that I've tested Knoppix for the first time, I feel so even more
firmly!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies