[wplug] Will the real WPLUG please take charge

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Feb 17 08:35:47 EST 2004

Weber, Larry A wrote:
> For the last 6 to 7 years WPLUG has been a valuable resource to Linux users,
> programmers and those just interested in finding out what Linux can do for
> them.  The membership has always acted respectfully with almost no flaming
> of even the simplest questions.  It is primarily this type of support that
> has been useful in getting management to specify that Linux be used in
> several of our new products.
>
> Are we now entering into a new phase of WPLUG where we join forces with a
> pro-Soviet farce of an organization http://www.cmukgb.org/ to handout CD's,
> and play bingo?  How will we look partying while CMU and M$ are presenting a
> serious software talk.
>
> Does anyone feel that this college prank could in any way be a good way to
> advocate Linux?  It is all about image!  I cannot see this being in anyway
> productive.  There are better ways.

I can't say I agree with your views on marketing.

"Image" is pretty irrelevent.  If you're trying get people interested in Linux,
the easiest way to do so is to stuff it in their face in any way possible.
There really is _no_ bad PR.  Factually, it would probably be wise to call
the reporter who did the PG artical on Linux and let her know that WPLUG is
about to stage a controversial rally.  Newspapers don't print anything but
controversy (of all the things I said to the reporter about Linux: how stable,
how it's making reliable IT affordable for small business, etc, etc ... she
printed the controversy between Microsoft and Linux)

Now, I'm not saying that I think this is a good idea.  Personally, I'm the
type who would prefer to sit quietly on the side and live my life without
really affecting anyone else.  However, doing so would leave me poor and
lonley, in reality-land you've got to stir things up.  If people want Linux
to match or exceed Microsoft's desktop share, then LUGs (and other forces)
are going to have to match Microsoft's marketing machine.  We need
commercials where people can fly because they installed the latest Gnome
desktop.  We need TV spots during the superbowl where coworkers dump the
water cooler on an employee who was smart enough to use OpenOffice, and
thus didn't corrupt their data files.  We need worldwide, satellite
co-ordinated launch parties (in every major city!) each time a new stable
release of Debian is made.  We need to pay Dell and Compaq and Gateway a
few $$ for each computer they sell that has an icon on the desktop that
says "Install GNU/Linux Now!".

Or, we could do what grass roots groups have done time and time again.
Stage a sit-down protest.  Hand out fliers.  Call our congressmen.  Stir
things up and hope for free media coverage.

Now, I don't know a thing about this cmukgb organization.  Their web site
is obtuse enough to even confuse me.  Do they have a reputation at CMU?
Despite the name, I can see no legitimate connection to communism implied.

Anyway.  I've discussed it with my business partners, and we're all in
agreement that this sounds like the kind of thing we'd like to attach
our name to.  If this goes forward, we'll be burning Knoppix CDs that
say "courtesy of Potential Technologies" on them.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies