[wplug] open source distribution mission

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Feb 16 10:31:22 EST 2004

John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in February Lance Tost assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | Of course, done incorrectly and it makes the opensource/free software
> | community look like a disorganized mess.  If I remember correctly, the
> | original email to this thread asked people to make their own cds with
> | whatever opensource/free software they could.  Why not collect up ideas
> | and make one cd and put together a good howto/readme doc on it to assist
> | people in using the software?  If there are 15 different CDs at this
> | event, each with their own content, that just looks sloppy.  I just hope
> | nobody puts a readme on their cd that just says "RTFM".
>
> i agree with you about the drawbacks associated with presenting a disjunct
> image. i expressed this opinion to beth in a private email.

Considering the time frame involved, it would be difficult to put together
something coherent, unless someone already had something ready.

So the question becomes: is something incoherent better than nothing at all?
I tend to believe that it is, because the biggest problem I hit with OSS is
that people don't even realize that it's out there.  YMMV.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies