[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Sun Feb 15 23:51:28 EST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
> 	For connectivity, DSL is a crappy technology. This is the
> twenty-first century. We should not be using circa 1800's technology in
> this day and age in the form of unshielded untwisted copper pair.

According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coax_cable#Timeline, coax
cable was patented in 1884 :)

> 	Cable is the way to go for residential connectivity.

Not for me.  Not without static IPs and not with that ridiculously low
upstream cap.  I've also heard many complaints of cable getting dog-slow
when your whole neighborhood is on browsing... No personal experience
though.  One of my in-laws has a problem where they sometimes have to shut
off their cable modem and *unplug* their cable from it for 5 minutes to
get it to work again.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>