[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Sun Feb 15 23:45:15 EST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Steven Leach wrote:
> > 2. They ask if you are running a "server" that they are given your
> > "administrator" password so that they can login any time to make
> > sure you are obeying the terms of service
>
> Wow... that is way beyond unreasonable and into the realm of creepy.  I
> saw the statement on their website that you were not allowed to have a
> password on your website (because you might be running a commercial
> site...) but would never would have imagined that they would actually
> expect  to be given access to any account on my system, let alone root
> access!

They don't.  I've had a password protected family website up for two years
now with no questions asked.

> Ouch, Downtime would be especially bad since I'll be running my own
> email server rather than relying on an isp provided mailbox.

Not really since email delivery is designed to handle some downtime.  Plus
I have not had the same experience regardiny downtime as some of the
others here I guess (see previous two posts).

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>