[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Sun Feb 15 23:25:05 EST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Steven Leach wrote:
> Libcom's pricing looks good, but also appears to be excessively
> restrictive.   Any and all commercial activities are banned (should
> never be an issue, but who knows?  Their definition seems extremely
> broad and open to harsh interpretation), "servers that generate high
> volumes of traffic and bandwidth allocations for that residential
> circuit for extended periods of time... will result in the immediate
> disconnection of service without refund".   Again, nothing like that
> should ever be an issue but if they ever decide that I am somehow
> violating any of their rules and flip the switch, my email server will
> suddenly be dead in the water... not good.

I've been with libcom for a while now.  Speed seems decent... two static
IPs is nice.  The only complaint I have is that they aren't able to give
me a reverse DNS entry because of some conflict over the IP range between
Libcom's provider and another.  I've never had an outage that lasted more
than a few hours, and even those are rare... and usually I can determine
that it's not Libcom but some upstream provider having the issue.

I run a couple websites (non-commercial) and stream mp3s to myself at
work... I've never had a problem with them shutting it off or anything.

I have 512/512 service and typically get 70+ KBytes/sec when
downloading... upstream speed seems fine but I've never measured it.  I
can stream mp3s to myself and use an interactive ssh shell with no
problems.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>