[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Steven Leach stevenaleach at mac.com
Sun Feb 15 21:04:57 EST 2004

> 	Gotta watch your TOS.

Ummm.. I give up, what does T.O.S. stand for?

>  Best to host on third-party sites, or have
> your machine colocated. Setup a Linux box, and receive your mail, and
> stuff, but do it through a third party.

I'm not trying to run a business website, the whole purpose of having a
connection other than cable is to be able to run my own server.  If I
were to rely on third party hosting then there would be no point. I
have an email address, I have a website (not that I use it for much).
What I don't have is my own server providing them out of my basement or
closet.

> 	For connectivity, DSL is a crappy technology. This is the
> twenty-first century. We should not be using circa 1800's technology in
> this day and age in the form of unshielded untwisted copper pair.
>
> 	Cable is the way to go for residential connectivity.

Can you get a static IP with cable?

I would rather not be stuck paying for dynamic dns (the free services
won't let me use my own domain name).