[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Sun Feb 15 20:18:29 EST 2004

> Wow... that is way beyond unreasonable and into the realm of creepy.  I
> saw the statement on their website that you were not allowed to have a
> password on your website (because you might be running a commercial
> site...) but would never would have imagined that they would actually
> expect  to be given access to any account on my system, let alone root
> access!

	Gotta watch your TOS. Best to host on third-party sites, or have
your machine colocated. Setup a Linux box, and receive your mail, and
stuff, but do it through a third party.

	For connectivity, DSL is a crappy technology. This is the
twenty-first century. We should not be using circa 1800's technology in
this day and age in the form of unshielded untwisted copper pair.

	Cable is the way to go for residential connectivity.

> Ouch, Downtime would be especially bad since I'll be running my own
> email server rather than relying on an isp provided mailbox.

	Colocating, or using a hosting service is a way to definately
avoid downtime.

> Thanks for the info, I'll definitely avoid libcom.   Its a very
> disturbing to find out about the downtime issue... I've never dealt
> with DSL before but was under the impression that a rock-solid reliable
> connection (so long as the phone line doesn't get knocked out by a tree
> or something) could be reasonably expected.  I currently have a cable
> internet connection here in Ohio, but can't get a static ip or high
> enough of an uplink speed to run anything off of it.

	I have alwas run my own stuff, and still use my beloved Auntie for
mail and some redirects. I even have my own DNS, and I'm using a Comcast
connection. Cable gives me 3Mbps downstream, and 300Kbps upstream. This
is fine for mail, and light non-commercial hosting. But colocation is the
key. I'm shooting for 2U in a rack somewhere, with decent power, and
enough bandwidth. Hosting at home is too expensive these days.

	Cable is the way to go for residential access, tho.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi