[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Steven Leach stevenaleach at mac.com
Sun Feb 15 19:32:25 EST 2004

On Feb 15, 2004, at 6:45 PM, Beth Lynn wrote:

> 2. They ask if you are running a "server" that they are given your
> "administrator" password so that they can login any time to make
> sure you are obeying the terms of service

Wow... that is way beyond unreasonable and into the realm of creepy.  I
saw the statement on their website that you were not allowed to have a
password on your website (because you might be running a commercial
site...) but would never would have imagined that they would actually
expect  to be given access to any account on my system, let alone root
access!

> 4. Sure, libcom dsl is a deal, if you can live with 3 days to a week
> of downtime each month.

Ouch, Downtime would be especially bad since I'll be running my own
email server rather than relying on an isp provided mailbox.

> I ended up going with Verizon DSL for the remainder of my time at that
> apartment since they were going to get me up and running the quickest
> and they didn't charge me for setup or modem. No contracts either.

I looked at Verizon, but was rather disturbed to see "MSN Premium at no
additional charge".... major turnoff and a little scary.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely avoid libcom.   Its a very
disturbing to find out about the downtime issue... I've never dealt
with DSL before but was under the impression that a rock-solid reliable
connection (so long as the phone line doesn't get knocked out by a tree
or something) could be reasonably expected.  I currently have a cable
internet connection here in Ohio, but can't get a static ip or high
enough of an uplink speed to run anything off of it.