[wplug] Permsfix for the stupid

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Thu Feb 5 14:30:14 EST 2004

>From Stupid user / fat finger:

System is a VMWare 2.x system (i.e. rh7.2 based) and I was having continual
issues where people were creating files via their account into directories
where the files had to be accessed via a group. No problem I thought I would
just 'chown 770 -R group:group * ;chmod +s * -R" in for all the directories.
I did this for a few and then decided verified it fixed the issues they were
having... problem was I forgot where I was, and accidentally did a '!ch'
when I was in / . Now the system is mucked up and root can't even login. I
know I will have to boot with rescue CD and get in single user mode but I
need a script (or something along those lines) to repair perms.

(If the box wasn't VMWare and running a plethora of scripts to start vms /
sync with customer server sites and the like... I would reload, but that has
to be my last option.)

Thx.

Jeremey Wise (440)-519-6006
Systems Consultant(CNE,MCSE,CSE)