[wplug] I dream of summer and MythTV

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Thu Feb 5 11:47:25 EST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Ryan W. Frenz wrote:
> Kinda related to this thread -- can anyone point me to a good how-to on
> getting tv-out under linux.  I've been trying like hell to get my ATI
> Rage 128 Pro working with the 'atitvout' module, with no luck.  Are
> there other cards that work better under linux?

I've had good luck with NVidia cards using their drivers (the nvidia
module, not the nv module).  You can download them from their website.
There's also an nvtv package that allows you to tweak some of the
settings, especially for older (GeForce2) cards.  The NVidia driver
supports additional options for the GeForce4 cards from what I hear
(over/underscan, etc).

I also have an ATI Rage 128 something or another on my laptop with a video
out that I've never successfully got working (tried atitvout as well).

BTW, some cards (not sure about ATI but my GeForce2 card works this way)
will not display on the tv-out if a monitor was hooked up during power on.
So if possible (wasn't with my laptop), try connecting only the tv out to
see if it works.  Be sure to set your default runlevel to 3 though... who
knows what would happen if you tried booting into X on your TV without
changing your config first.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>