[wplug] Since we're off topic

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Wed Feb 4 17:30:15 EST 2004

This thread went much further than I expected.  :)

If I remember correctly, the reasoning for the 'mystery' power supply
problems stems from the fact that the system core on newer systems (ones
with more powerful processors, such as Athlon XP), runs on the 12v rail,
rather than the 5v rail, which older systems like the P2 ran on.
Usually what happens is a burn out after too much draw or putting the
power supply at too high of a load for too long.  A lot of those power
supplies that come with cases that are label 350W or 400W might have a
lot of 5v power, but not enough 12v power to run the system with
stability.  Or the opposite scenario, that if you plug in too many 5v
peripheral devices, the system stability will go down when you have a
loaded-up machine.  I briefed the article that Bill send out, and it
looks like it does get into those details.  My rule of thumb:  if they
don't list the details and the deal is too sweet, it probably is ;)

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs
cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com