[wplug] A little OT: Tracking down an IP address

Ghataora, Hardeep hghataora at ccac.edu
Wed Feb 4 15:06:24 EST 2004

You can use a network 'whois' tool to track down the ISP of a user
pretty well. From their, you'd need to contact the ISP and see what they
say, most likely, they'll say go away, most ISPs log when you're online
and what IP you were assigned for technical response issues.

www.samspade.org has a neat little tool where you can stick an IP in and
it does stuff to it.

There are a whole other bunch of tools that will do it too, 'whois' on
your *nix being one.
Don't be surprised if your ISP tell you to go away.

Below is a sample.

(arthur:regexp):~$ whois -h whois.arin.net 162.51.73.18

OrgName:    Community College of Allegheny County
OrgID:      CCAC
Address:    800 Allegheny Ave.
City:       Pittsburgh
StateProv:  PA