[wplug] A little OT: Tracking down an IP address

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 4 15:05:10 EST 2004

Sometime in February Scott Bourns assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| This is a little odd, but how would I track down somebody who posted a form
| that recorded their IP address?
|
| I have the IP of the poster, and time and date of post.
|
| The problem, for the curious, is repeated, profane and libelous posts to a
| forum site I'm associated with. I really just want them to know I know who
| they are - spook them a little. ;)
|
| This might not be possible, but I figured you guys would know if it could be
| done.

first you have to find out who owns the ip address. normally

$ whois 123.123.123.123 at ws.arin.net

or simply goto www.arin.net and use the form at the top of the page.

next is up for specualtion. you can always try contacting the people
personally, or alternatively get a lawyer (if you have any legal standing)
to send them a letter. really the people/organization who controls the
block of ip addresses are the only ones who can give you the info you want,
and they are probably not going to do that willingly.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E