[wplug] Since we're off topic

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Feb 4 11:19:32 EST 2004

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>>>did that from day 1, I figured it was some sort of *feature* but now I
>>>don't think so anymore.
>>
>>	And what kind of CPU do you have in this? Anything over 800Mhz,
>>your 300-watt power supply, is just not going to cut it.
>
> Well, it's an Athlon 2000.  What would you recommend?

I think this is a little over-dramatic.  I've seen a lot of modern
(1600gh+) computers run just dandy off 300 watt supplies.  My brother's
is a Athlon XP2000 and it's using a 300 watt without problem.  Burns
CDs just fine as well.

The real problem here is that this consumer-level hardware is not built
with any diagnostic features installed (with the exception of some HDDs
that have the SMART system)  So, when this happens, you're left with an
Easter-egg hunt (replace one piece, see if the problem disappears, if
not, try another component ... etc)

Power supplies are an interesting problem, I believe it was Tom's
hardware that had a review of power supplies and found that some of the
cheaper ones that were rated for 300w, burned up with less than 250w
load.  Eventually (I think) it will end up just like the monitor sizes,
where the government will regulate how they can advertise wattage.  Other
of the power supplies they tested would reach the rated wattage, but the
voltage would fluctuate wildly, causing the computer to become unstable.
I think it was the Antec power supplies that were able to exceed their
rated wattage, and still maintain stable voltage.

So, you have to throw that into your considerations: the 300w power
supply may not really be capable of 300w.

Here: I found the article ... very informative!
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/

>>	Don't bother with 40-gig disks. Go with 80s or 120s. Buy online!

Well ... I think this is ridiculous!  I have a 40G HDD in my computer,
with both FreeBSD and Windows, and I have more space than I can imagine
filling up.

However, it depends on your usage.  James has an 80G HDD, and with all
the games and videos, and other nonsense he collects, he has a hard
time keeping any free space on it.  It's tempting to spend a few extra
$$$ to get twice as many gigs, but I think you need to consider how
you use the system, and not be led into foolishly spending money when
you don't have to.

Although I definately agree with buying online, if you can wait, it'll
save you a bundle.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies