[wplug] Since we're off topic

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Feb 4 11:11:08 EST 2004

> Well, it's an Athlon 2000.  What would you recommend?

	400-500-watt power supply. Remember, heat = loss. When you put
fans on CPUs, that's more draw. Got a case fan? Power-supply fan? Couple
PCI cards? Got a bitch'n video card with it's own heatsink and fan? That's
alot of heat, and a lot of power.

	Also, at startup, it takes more power to get those platters going
than to keep 'em running. YOur power supply needs to not only handle the
normal usage, but also the startup draw. Some of the electronics people on
this list may be able to help with some suggestions.

	My workstation has a 500-watt CompUSA-branded power-supply in it.
It's pretty generic, but seems to work okay. EnerMAX makes a bitch'n 2-u
PS which works better than any others I've seen, but they're not cheap.

> As for that, I could get a 40-gig drive for $40, or an 80-gig drive for
> $56.  Why spend the extra (2x)$16, when I have every data file I've ever
> owned for as long as I've owned a computer, and still have 20 gigs free on
> my 40-gig drive?
>
> I suppose $0.70/gig is a pretty tempting offer.
>
> But I apparently need that money to buy a new power supply.

	Your choice. I know what it's like to be broke, and have to
shell-out for parts. Good luck, tho!

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi