[wplug] Since we're off topic

Scott Eicher Scott.Eicher at e-Profile.com
Wed Feb 4 10:44:18 EST 2004

I've had this type of problem as well. When I have the problem HD in the
drive however I get a message during POST that the drive is about to fail
and I should backup ASAP and replace the drive. I've been getting that
message for about a year with this HD installed. The drive never makes any
funny noises and never causes any weird problems while working in the OS. I
haven't replaced it yet because I'm not too worried about losing the OS that
is installed on that drive.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Moran [mailto:wmoran at potentialtech.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 8:06 AM
To: wplug at wplug.org
Subject: Re: [wplug] Since we're off topic

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>>>Since the problem seems to be correlated to the *first time* I try to
>>>power up the machine after n hours, I will wait for awhile and try again
>>>with the HDDs not plugged in.  If I see it fail even once without the
>>>HDDs, then it's probably the motherboard (there isn't anything else here
>>>except for a wireless NIC).  If not, then I'm in data recovery hell and
>>>will probably prevail upon the list again soon.
>>>
>>	Sounds like a power-supply, dewd. Don't skimp on those. Bad power
>>supplies are the leading cause of machine failure (minus user-error). What

>>kid of power supply do you have in that thing? Bad RAM may also be the
>>cause, but I've seen few cases of that. Of course, I only get monster
>>power-supplies anymore, so...
>
> I guess it could be the power supply, but it's new, too, and 300W.  Plus,
> the fact that the BIOS has still not failed to POST once without the hard
> drives plugged in (8 attempts and counting) points a bloody finger at
> them.  Plus, this HDD has made noise since the day I got it - occasionally

> it will make a cracking noise as if it suddenly stopped spinning, and then

> started up again.  Since it was an IBM, and since I bought it new and it
> did that from day 1, I figured it was some sort of *feature* but now I
> don't think so anymore.

I've been following with some interest, but now I think I actually have a
similar experience to offer.

Late last year, my FreeBSD desktop computer started acting up.  About once
a week it would just freeze up, and then on reboot it sometimes would
refuse to recognize the HDD.  I replaced the power supply ... no change,
I replaced the mobo ... no change, finally I replaced the HDD and the
machine has been rock stable since.

In my case, I didn't suspect the HDD, because it wasn't making any noise or
exhibiting any other behaviour other than the lockups.  But it was
obviously the cause of the problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies