[wplug] website, mailing list, and newsletter

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue Feb 3 10:04:05 EST 2004

hi,

Our web group is planning a few improvements to the web page, so please
stay tuned for that.

In addition, we going to make a better effort of putting minutes,
slides, and other valuable content from meetings past on this site...
http://www.wplug.org/meetings/

Questions posted to the mailing list have been archived for the over
four years. All of this information has been posted publicly in this
manner on purpose so that folks may google and find good information.
http://www.wplug.org/lists/

Perhaps we are being lazy but not categorizing some of the more
interesting threads with technical questions. Since these technologies
seem to move so fast, a lot of the advice is out of date after 6 months.

If we had enough round tuits, we could expand on the resources page
where howtos, tips, and tutorials contributed by WPLUG members could
be listed.
http://www.wplug.org/pages/resources
Meeting slides, the mailing list, and the perspective newsletter could
provide content. Maybe for some other day.

The newsletter is a new idea as to how we can achieve the following goals
* allow yet another way members can contribute to this community
* report news that you won't see in the local media from the
perspective of Linux users and Open Source advocates
* provide an opportunity to have access to more Linux tips, ticks,
and howtos from folks who do not post to the list or give talks.
* promote community spirit by having something to show the world what we
are about
* satisfy a hunger to do a project as a community that perhaps has never
been attempted before
* contribute additional content to enrich our website

Sure it's all very ambitious to attempt all of this stuff. As the current
matriarch of WPLUG, I am very interested in encouraging participation as
a community at all levels. In that sense, it would not make sense for
me to tell the people who are interested in doing a newsletter, "No,
we have work to do on our website" since those who work on the website
and those who work on the newsletter would be two different groups
of people. Volunteers have different interests so it's all about the
members want to do and what we can make of it.

By the way we are still looking for an editor. We would always use more
writers but we have barely enough to get started.

This is all very exciting so let's make a go of it, shall we?

Thanks,
Beth Lynn