[wplug] Since we're off topic

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Feb 3 09:02:31 EST 2004

> Lately when turning on my computer, it doesn't work.  The drives and power
> supply spin up, the keyboard and mouse flash their blinky-blinkys, but the
> monitor stays dark, and the hard drive never starts spooling so I know the
> OS isn't starting - i.e. not a monitor problem.  Everything is ~3 months
> old, bought as new parts and assembled myself.
>
> So, it's probably the motherboard.  I have a warranty, which it's still
> under, but shipping the MB back to some joint in California for them to
> send me a new one is a huge hassle, so if anyone had any ideas short of
> that, I'd welcome them.  Or, if I get bitchslapped for using the forum for
> off-topic stuff, that's fine too - just let me know and it won't happen
> again.  I donno how formal you guys are, having just joined the list a few
> weeks ago.

	I've noticed this with my systems too. Usually I assemble them
myself. My hands are always really sweaty, and so the connectors and
contacts (and chassis) get to oxidizing rather quickly.

	Then a friend of mine accosted me with this can of stuff --
contact cleaner. After taking one of my (beloved) machines apart, cleaning
ALL contacts, and putting it back together, this does not happen anymore.

	I usually get second and third-hand components -- including
mainboards -- that people say are toast. More often than not, simply
wiping the CMOS makes the thing work like new.

	Y'know, just a few tips from my perspective.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi