[wplug] Since we're off topic

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Tue Feb 3 08:47:24 EST 2004

In addition to these recommendations, you can also strip the computer
down to bare components.  That is to say unplug everything from the
motherboard but the cpu, memory, motherboard (plugged into the power
supply and properly connected to the case), and video card.  If it still
won't power on self test (POST) then it's one or more of these
components.  Try swapping out the components if you have spares, or
perhaps putting them into another computer.  I recently pinpointed my
problem as being the motherboard through this process, although if I
wasn't so hurried I would have noticed the capacitor cap laying in the
bottom of the computer case (it blew right off the Abit motherboard,
which is now in RMA).

Also some modern motherboards do not beep the PC speaker when there's a
problem, instead they'll actually play a voice recording through the
audio jack telling you what the problem is.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer II
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086