[wplug] upgrading suse 9.0

Dileep Vangasseri dil5516 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 16:55:51 EST 2004

Hello,

I run a suse 9.0 on my sony pcg frv26 laptop. I am thinking of upgrading the system to 9.2. At present I have the following partitions in my laptop.

/home  10GB
/           8GB
/swap    1024 MB (my RAM is 512MB)
/boot     100MB

I have a dual boot with windows XP. I was wondering if I can just format  the / partition and install the suse 9.2, keeping my /home intact. During installation of suse 9.0 I had seen that there are options to make /var , /usr etc in separate partitions. Is there any advantage of keeping these things in separate partitions?  What would be an ideal partition table for linux installtion?

Thanking you,

With best regards,
Dileep

http://mail.yahoo.com