[wplug] 'upgrading' server

Pecoraro, Chris Chris.Pecoraro at chp.edu
Mon Dec 20 12:32:19 EST 2004

This is a difficult question.

A few years back, I started leasing a dedicated server for $99 with CIHost.com (UNIX server 0).  They had a 'custom' version of Redhat 5.2 and php 4, mysql, etc, as well as an in-house custom=built site admin and perl toolkit for my 'hosting customers' (friends) with a 40 gig drive, 64 mb of RAM, and a 700 ghz processor (gasp!).

Now, they offer for the same price a server with 80 gig, 2.4 ghz processor, 256/512 RAM, and Redhat 7.2, along with newer builds of php, etc.  The problem is that all they'll do for me is tar/gzip up my old server and dump it on the new server.  I'll have to recreate everything from scratch.  I assumed with 500,000 customers (or whatever number the marketing dept. decides to make), they would have an upgrade/move script to facilitate such a task, since nobody wants to pay for less than the current specs.  I'm just not convinced that 'simply reuploading the content' will be all to do, since I've got crons to backup the data, as well as mysql databases, and many aliases for domains and email addresses.

My thought is that I could just open a new account with them or someone else to overlap, so that everybody doesn't experience X hours of downtime while I figure out how to recreate everything and repoint all of the aliases.  There ARE some cheaper hosts I know of, but usually you need to pay extra for PLESK or some sort of admin tool for the 'clients'.  They need something 'easy', if not exactly the same.

Should I contract someone for a few to sit beside me and double the speed of the work?

Thanks for any help
chris pecoraro

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE. This e-mail and attachments (if any) are the sole property of Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise prohibited by law from disclosure or re-disclosure. This information is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom this e-mail or attachments are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are prohibited from using, copying, saving or disclosing this information to anyone else. Please destroy the message and any attachments immediately and notify the sender by return e-mail. Thank you. <It>