[wplug] testing Apache virtual-host setup without DNS

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 14 17:19:55 EST 2004

I have a webserver which serves pages for a couple of different hostnames.
I'm setting up a second computer as a replacement webserver, and before
repointing the DNS entries, I want to verify the second computer is set
correctly.

So, as an example:
Let's say the old webserver is 1.2.3.4 and the new is 5.6.7.8 .
www.briansammon.org currently points at 1.2.3.4 and apache on 1.2.3.4 has a
"VirtualHost" section for www.briansammon.org.
Now, I have apache on 5.6.7.8 and I have a "VirtualHost" entry on it for
www.briansammon.org .
Is there a way I can test the VirtualHost stuff on 5.6.7.8 by giving a magic
URL to my browser?
http://www.briansammon.org/ won't hit 5.6.7.8, but is there something like
  http://www.briansammon.org@5.6.7.8/ that will?
Is this the sort of thing that I can only do in certain browsers?