[wplug] double-authentication for IMAP and SMTP-AUTH

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 08:37:58 EST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:31:36 -0500, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:16:18 -0500 (EST)
> Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm [eternally] trying to get IMAP working on my system here, and the big
> > problem (as per our discussion a few weeks ago) is SMTP AUTH.  Now, it
> > seems like everyone in the world uses SASL for authentication, but SASL
> > seems to literally not work for any other application ever, except for
> > Cyrus IMAP.
>
> FWIW, I have a fear that one day I'll reboot my server due to
> a kernel update or what have you, and SMTP AUTH won't work with
> my Sendmail configuration anymore ...
>
> And why, because getting it to work right was easy, but keeping
> it working in the past has been a real head ache.  Granted, 98%
> of the time it does work for me, but two times in the past
> I've had to reconfigure it.
>
> And Bill, I don't want to hear anything about why I should
> use Postfix.  :)

I don't know if postfix has this option/patch or not but you can look
look for a smtp-after-imap feature.  I use qmail and there are patches
that will allow relaying only after a successfull auth against imap or
pop3.  This way there is only one user/pass combo and you can use
virtual users so there are no shell accounts.

Chris