[wplug] double-authentication for IMAP and SMTP-AUTH

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Dec 9 20:16:18 EST 2004

I'm [eternally] trying to get IMAP working on my system here, and the big
problem (as per our discussion a few weeks ago) is SMTP AUTH.  Now, it
seems like everyone in the world uses SASL for authentication, but SASL
seems to literally not work for any other application ever, except for
Cyrus IMAP.

Apart from the question of why things were done this way, how do folks
here who are running IMAP servers handle the problem of the user having to
authenticate twice, once to send mail and once to connect to the IMAP
server?  Do you maintain two separate but equivalent password databases?
Use LDAP?  That seems overkill for a system with three users.

Also: I am thinking of adding more users and I would like them to be able
to use IMAP and SMTP AUTH with different passwords than their
shell-account passwords.  This is mostly so that I don't hve to give out
shell account access, except it raises the question of how they are to
change (or set, for that matter) their IMAP passwords.

Bill [Moran]: I recall you said you were using the Dovecot IMAP server, as
well as Postfix, as am I -- how do you handle authentication issues?

-Brandon