[wplug] Dual Boot Inspiron Laptop Help !

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 2 10:18:52 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 06:32:03 -0800 (PST)
Ray Cefola <rcefola at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just got a Dell Inspiron 4000
> laptop 10GB HD running Windows ME.
> Any advice how to add Mandrake
> to create a dual-boot system?
> Thanks a lot.

NOTE: I have never used Mandrake so the options here may differ:

Use a partioning tool, Partition Magic comes to mind, to shrink the
Windows partition down to about 5 GB.

Boot Mandrake CD.

Install WITHOUT blowing away the Windows partition.

I'm out of the loop on the current boot loader, but last I checked,
it was Lilo and you can manually (or in the install?) set it to
give you a booting option when starting your machine.

See the Linux Documentation Projects dual booting HowTo for more
information; it may have a list of partition editing tools for
you to use, perhaps a free one.

Good luck!

--
Tom Rhodes