[wplug] Server install

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Dec 2 09:34:50 EST 2004

Sometime in December Arnaud Loos assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I find myself installing Debian on a server for the first time and I'm
| having a problem. The server is a Dell 1650 with a perc 3/Di controller.
| Through the Adaptec config util I've setup the three disks (36 GB) as a
| RAID5 set. I boot off the Debian sarge netinstall cd and get through the
| disk partitioning (correctly recognized a 72 GB volume) and base install but
| I'm having a problem with the grub install. I first tried to install Grub to
| the MBR but that failed. I then tried installing to /dev/hda1, /dev/sda1,
| /dev fd0 (windows formatted, FAT16), but all these fail. I thought at least
| the floppy would work. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Since you tried installing the grub on hda1 I'm assuming that you have an
ide drive in the machine. I've had a lot of trouble getting linux boot
loaders (lilo and grub) working on machines with both ide and scsi. I've
normally been able to get them to boot off of floppies though.

Now when you say grub failed do you mean:
 o grub install gave an error
 o gurb install worked but the machine wont boot

Assuming that it is the latter. If you installed grub to a floppy and it
didn't boot, then perhaps you are pointing to the wrong device? I'm
speculating here. Could you elaborate on the two points above and provide
any error messages.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E