[wplug] Server install

Arnaud Loos arnaud at arnaudloos.com
Wed Dec 1 14:46:08 EST 2004

I find myself installing Debian on a server for the first time and I'm
having a problem. The server is a Dell 1650 with a perc 3/Di controller.
Through the Adaptec config util I've setup the three disks (36 GB) as a
RAID5 set. I boot off the Debian sarge netinstall cd and get through the
disk partitioning (correctly recognized a 72 GB volume) and base install but
I'm having a problem with the grub install. I first tried to install Grub to
the MBR but that failed. I then tried installing to /dev/hda1, /dev/sda1,
/dev fd0 (windows formatted, FAT16), but all these fail. I thought at least
the floppy would work. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'd also like to better understand where the problem is. In the windows
world, during the OS install the fact that I'm installing to a RAID5 set has
always been transparent to the OS. Windows is able to write the boot info to
what it believes is the MBR of a single disk without a problem. How is
Debian different?

Thanks for the help.
Arnaud-