[wplug] java vulnerability question

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Wed Dec 1 12:58:13 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 12:18:26PM -0500, John Harrold wrote:
> My boss sent the following to me yesterday and wondered how it affects us.
>
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1731437,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K000059
>
> I must admit that there is so much stuff with java in the name (javascript,
> jdk, jre, etc.), that I'm not really sure how this affects us. I believe
> all of the machines have the gnu version of java installed (part of gcc).
> Te article above said the third party stuff is ok. I'm not really sure
> where to look to confirm this.

If you use mozilla (or galeon, or firefox, etc.) you can check
"About Plugins" under the Help menu (or the URL "about:plugins") to
see what version of the JRE is used for Java applets.

Mine was 1.4.1, which is vulnerable, so I'm upgrading as I write this.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u