[wplug] Hierarchical runlevels?

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Tue Aug 31 15:59:53 EDT 2004

	As far as I know - this is incorrect.

This is based on RH (and to some degree SuSE)
	All services are defined in scripts located in /etc/rc.d
	There are directories that represent each used runlevel, in
those directories are symbolic links to the scripts in /etc/rc.d, and
the name of the sym-link will start with a "K" or an "S" - indicating to
"S"tart this service when changing the runlevel and "K"ill this service
when changing the runlevel.  These numbers - S45xxxx, S67yyyyy,
K12zzzzz, K33eeee (the hierarchy, if you will) are determined by
information in the actual scripts in /etc/rc.d - as well as other
"hooks" that tie into commands like chkconfig and (on RH) "service"
(which is roughly equivalent to typing /etc/rc.d/"service" and getting
the modifier (start, stop, reload, etc) )
	So - if you are in runlevel 3 and init 6 (reboot) it will Kill
all services as required by /etc/rc3.d and Start all services as
required by /etc/rc6.d.  IIRC - there nothing but "K" scripts in
/etc/rc6.d..

	System-wide or "global" (or perhaps run-level independent)
services are generally started in some other portion of init - as in
rc.sysinit (as a rule reserved for system services) or rc.local (more
reserved for "user space" services / applications)

	But as far as I know there is no overlap between runlevels.
There may be similarities (particularly between 3 & 5) but it's nothing
more than that - booting to init level 3 will _never_ look at what's in
init level 5.

	This is as I understand it....

Don