[wplug] Hierarchical runlevels?

Hagbard Celine wplug at wplug.org
Tue Aug 31 15:32:11 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 07:43:11AM -0400, Vanco, Don wrote:
> >I seem to have a vague recollection of such a thing...
> 	Not really following you here - that's pretty much what Linux
> does now.  Can you offer more detail on what you're trying to
> understand?

Well...  The Linux thing is clear to me; you specify, say, run level 3, and
get the services defined for run level 3 (rc3.d).

I seem to have a recollection of a system within which, you specify run level
3, get services defined for run level 3, *and* services defined for run levels
4 and 5.  Similarly, if you specified run level 4, you would get services
defined for run level 4 *and* for run level 5. (Or something like that.  It
might be the lower numbers you get as extra.)

I wasn't sure if I was remembering something I had really seen, or if I was
recalling a hallucination I'd experienced after inhaling too many cat piss
fumes...

Hagbard