[wplug] Am I a jerk?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Aug 31 14:48:56 EDT 2004

"Vanco, Don" <don.vanco at agilysys.com> wrote:

> Now at least a couple of you have already hit reply just based on the
> sender and subject... but let me get to my point.
>
> 	I've been a big proponent of open systems and Open Source
> software for quite some time - long enough that it's now been my
> full-time profession for over 5 years.
>
> 	I have tried, in whatever ways feasible, to support the
> advancement of Open Source - beta testing primarily (as I am not a
> hacker) but also, in a few cases, with funding.  Good ol' cash.
>
> 	Over the last few weeks I have made several contributions to
> various software developers (individuals - not groups or projects) - in
> one case, what I consider to be a fairly significant amount (because I
> really, really like the package).  Typically via some means like Amazon
> or PayPal.
>
> 	My point: to date NONE of them have ever said "Thank You".
>
> 	Is this being petty?  Should I just take solace in knowing that
> I'm insuring that my favorite software remains vital?
>

> 	Perhaps I'm just laying my own expectations on others - but I
> know that if it were me (and some anonymous stranger insured that I'd be
> in pizza and beer for a couple more weeks) I would at least take the
> time to fire off a quick email with "Thanks".

I haven't noticed this myself ... I've always gotten some sort of thank
you any time I've put forth money.  I can't blame you for being upset at
never getting a thank you.  Perhaps I've just been fortunate as to who
I've donated to.

On the flip side, it seems like a lot of quality hackers are rude.  Not
intentionally rude, but just so engrossed in their work that they easily
forget simple curtesies like "thank you".

In the case of that, I would consider the provision of the software itself
as a thank you.  If you ask a fellow to improve the UI on a program and
give him $xxx to do so, and the UI improves ... take that as thank you
enough.  Sure, it's not polite, but it's better than letting it upset you.

I don't think you're a jerk.  And let me just say, as one user who has
often benefitted from the generosity of others, thank you for supporting
Open Source!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies