[wplug] Am I a jerk?

ARiley at edgarsnyder.com ARiley at edgarsnyder.com
Tue Aug 31 14:42:54 EDT 2004

You're right in some ways.  What I find infuriating is when you contribute
code or documenation and you're ignored by the developers.  A few months
back I sent detailed instructions on how to compile mod_auth_mysql on
Debian since their documentation was not very good.  Still no response...

Aaron

             "Vanco, Don"
             <don.vanco at agilys
             ys.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  "General user list"
             wplug-bounces+ari         <wplug at wplug.org>
             ley=edgarsnyder.c                                          cc
             om at wplug.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [wplug] Am I a jerk?
             08/31/2004 02:22
             PM

             Please respond to
             General user list
             <wplug at wplug.org>

Now at least a couple of you have already hit reply just based on the
sender and subject... but let me get to my point.

             I've been a big proponent of open systems and Open Source
software for quite some time - long enough that it's now been my
full-time profession for over 5 years.

             I have tried, in whatever ways feasible, to support the
advancement of Open Source - beta testing primarily (as I am not a
hacker) but also, in a few cases, with funding.  Good ol' cash.

             Over the last few weeks I have made several contributions to
various software developers (individuals - not groups or projects) - in
one case, what I consider to be a fairly significant amount (because I
really, really like the package).  Typically via some means like Amazon
or PayPal.

             My point: to date NONE of them have ever said "Thank You".

             Is this being petty?  Should I just take solace in knowing
that
I'm insuring that my favorite software remains vital?

             Perhaps I'm just laying my own expectations on others - but I
know that if it were me (and some anonymous stranger insured that I'd be
in pizza and beer for a couple more weeks) I would at least take the
time to fire off a quick email with "Thanks".

Don