[wplug] Am I a jerk?

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Tue Aug 31 14:22:53 EDT 2004

Now at least a couple of you have already hit reply just based on the
sender and subject... but let me get to my point.

	I've been a big proponent of open systems and Open Source
software for quite some time - long enough that it's now been my
full-time profession for over 5 years.

	I have tried, in whatever ways feasible, to support the
advancement of Open Source - beta testing primarily (as I am not a
hacker) but also, in a few cases, with funding.  Good ol' cash.

	Over the last few weeks I have made several contributions to
various software developers (individuals - not groups or projects) - in
one case, what I consider to be a fairly significant amount (because I
really, really like the package).  Typically via some means like Amazon
or PayPal.

	My point: to date NONE of them have ever said "Thank You".

	Is this being petty?  Should I just take solace in knowing that
I'm insuring that my favorite software remains vital?

	Perhaps I'm just laying my own expectations on others - but I
know that if it were me (and some anonymous stranger insured that I'd be
in pizza and beer for a couple more weeks) I would at least take the
time to fire off a quick email with "Thanks".

Don