[wplug] Hierarchical runlevels?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 30 10:29:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:44:55 -0400
"Vanco, Don" <don.vanco at agilysys.com> wrote:

> [...]

If memory serves me correctly, HP-UX, AIX, Ultrix and Solaris
have a similar setup.  I *think* Linux just has symlinks to
their different runlevel directories.  NetBSD and FreeBSD have
a different rc setup than OpenBSD (since FreeBSD 5.X and NetBSD
X.X.X) where all scripts are stored in /etc/rc.d/ and started
with /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.local[1].  I haven't had enough
experiance with OpenBSD to explain how it differs from the
other BSDs.  I do hope this helps, or perhaps I've misinterpreted
the question?

[1]: rc.conf.local is for backward compatibility and really should
     go away but AFAIR it will remain this way for some time.

--
Tom Rhodes