[wplug] SSH bouncing.

Christopher DeMarco cdemarco at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 26 21:33:08 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:43:45AM -0400, Wise, Jeremey wrote:

> Just thought I  would post this.  It is really  simple once you find
> out how  to do it  but  has a lot of  value  for those occasions one
> needs such a feature as allowing someone  shell access remotly. This
> process does  NOT  address the  fact  that you  are likly  violating
> security boundaries of corportate networks

Ah, so we've started the Stupid Pet Tricks thread >:)

You've illustrated nicely  why the more draconian  corporate firewalls
block outgoing  SSH.  They also block  outgoing  everything else, too,
forcing the poor plebs to use a web proxy to  view an approved list of
work-related resources.

That is why we use...

...PROXYTUNNEL!

http://proxytunnel.sourceforge.net/

A proxy server can't open up an SSL-encrypted HTTP session to find out
where you're trying to connect.  Hence most  proxy servers support the
CONNECT method  wherein  they ferry   your (presumably  SSL-encrypted)
session to and fro between whoever you specify.

<evil grin>

So  proxytunnel  listens on your  local  box  on  port <whatever>, and
forwards  connections  to that port,  wrapped  in a nice  HTTP CONNECT
request    to   yon proxy   server.  Squid    says   "Hm?   CONNECT to
foo.bar.com:443?  Why, sure thing!"

I  did this quite  happily behind the Evil  Megacorp firewall for four
months (until  I quit    due   to Insufferably   Evil    Soul-Crushing
Megacorporatism) to tunnel IMAPS and IRC.  Stupid pet trick, indeed!

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
Christopher DeMarco <cdemarco at fastmail.fm>