[wplug] SSH bouncing.

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Thu Aug 26 09:43:45 EDT 2004

Just thought I would post this. It is really simple once you find out
how to do it but has a lot of value for those occasions one needs such a
feature as allowing someone shell access remotly. This process does NOT
address the fact that you are likly violating security boundaries of
corportate networks

Example: I have a laptop at work that I am having some error I want some
LUG user to see. Corportate IP range is non-routable and I have no
control over NAT functions. How do I allow said person to shell in and
see the issue?

Step 1:
Build and SSH session from my laptop to a "common" internet server.
"ssh -R 2048:wizej:22 mydomain.com" -> Login-> Now I have a shell
session on the "internet" server.

Step 2:
Remote technician who wants to help ssh's into the same "internet" box.
"ssh tech at mydomain.com" ->Login -> Now he is logged into the same box as
I am.

Step3:
Remote technician now will 'bounce' back through my original tunnel.
"ssh -p 2048 localhost" ->Login with account created on laptop ->The
remote technician now has a shell session on the system.

--
Thanks,

Jeremey Wise
jeremey.wise at agilysys.com

All opinions or information expressed here are personal in nature and do
not reflect the official position of Agilysys Inc.