[wplug] SMTP delay

duncanhutty at comcast.net duncanhutty at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 11:53:47 EDT 2004

I'm using postfix, spamassassin is setup as a content filter transport in master.cf. spamassassin's local.conf has skip_rbl_checks = 1 so all those network connections are not an issue.
However, I don't think it's a spamassassin problem because the delay occurs before it's even handed off to spamassassin by postfix.
Duncan Hutty

Can you explain how you set up spamassassin? If you set it up as a sendmail milter that will certainly cause a delay as it does various checks on each message, some of which are DNS related. The delay isn't a big issue normally, it doesn't reflect how many messages per minute the machine can handle except when factoring in memory and cpu utilization. It might feel like it can handle only 4 messages a minute but in reality it can handle hundreds.
Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer II
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086