[wplug] Kernel Compile Error

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Mon Aug 23 15:09:12 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 14:49 -0400, James O'Kane wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Wise, Jeremey wrote:
>
> > > VFS: Mounted root  (ext2 filesystem).
> > > Starting udev
> > > Creating devices
> > > reiserfs: disagrees about version of symbol
> > > insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-Palm/kernel....-l
> > invalid
> > > module format
> > > Waiting for device /dev/hda3 to appear: ok
> > > rootfs: major=3 minor=3 devn=771
> > > warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory....
> > > warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or direcotry...
> > > ReiserFS: hda3: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard...
> > > hda: read_intr: status 0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> > Error}
> > > hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { Sector IdNotFount }, LBAsect=5835196,
> > > sector=58351696
> > > <snip> error code of last two lines incrament over forty of fifty
> > pages>
> > > end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 58351696
> > > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,3)
>

> Based on those errors above, I suspect 1 of 2 things. Either failing
> hardware, or you machine is setup with an initrd, and you didn't update it
> with the new rieserfs modules. RH has a tool called mkinitrd for this
> purpose, but I've found that's not universal.
>
> -james
mkinitrd does come with SuSE.  I have unpacked it and checked it over to
verify it "looks" ok. I do have suspicions that it is broken but don't
understand enough about it to 'fix' it. I have tried compiling the
reiserfs into the kernel but that has no effect on the issue. Is it
possible that reiserfs module has change in some "incompatable" way? Is
their a way to debug this further?

Jeremey Wise
jeremey.wise at agilysys.com

All opinions or information expressed here are personal in nature and do
not reflect the official possition of Agilysys Inc.