[wplug] Kernel Compile Error

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Mon Aug 23 14:29:09 EDT 2004

I have a SuSE 9.1 install and need to compile 2.6.8.1 kernel.org kernel
for my box. Their is a long story on why I have to move to a non-stock
kernel but suffice it to say I have to.

Here is the ticket/error that I am getting which I posted to SuSE
Support without much respose. (as much of it as I can grab from the boot
process:>)

> PRODUCT: SuSE Linux I386 9.1 Professional
> I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 which I migrated from Windows XP to SuSE
for all my corportate applications. I have three open issues.

> 1) My PALM/Phone can not sync with SuSE.
> 2) Wireless does not work
> 3) X windows export for enabling root shell session to open X window
on default (user desktop)

> Their is about four months worth of history on this project so I will
referance some archive / history in various user groups. This ticket is
concerning the first issue. The program that all the distros use for
syncing with PALM devices  is Pilot-Link. Here is the thread of emails
concerning this issue.

> http://lists.pilot-link.org/pipermail/pilot-link-general/2004-
August/001873.html

> This is the primary thread on the topic. More sub/ spaun threads exist
from other users with the same device which I can provide if needed.

> Summery: Kernel 2.6.5 (suse's latest "stock" kernel) has a bug, as
does the version of the visor module.  The only fix is to use a kernel
2.6.7 or later.  I have worked with the Pilot-Link developer to conferm
this and to attemtp to compile a kernel.org 2.6.8.1 kernel on my system
(he tested this kernel version and it works.

> Help required: Their are two options
> 1) Help me debug visor module (though pilot-link developers said it's
broken)
> 2) Help me with what apears to be a error in the kernel compile
process where a stock kernel when compiled on a suse 9.1 box will not
boot. The following is the boot error (as much as I can capture). Afer
looking at it for seveal days I believe it is in the way mkinitrd is
interacting with the kernel. Below is the error output .. more detail
can be supplied as required.
> *********************
> <Snip>....
> VFS: Mounted root  (ext2 filesystem).
> Starting udev
> Creating devices
> reiserfs: disagrees about version of symbol
> insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-Palm/kernel....-l
invalid
> module format
> Waiting for device /dev/hda3 to appear: ok
> rootfs: major=3 minor=3 devn=771
> warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory....
> warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or direcotry...
> ReiserFS: hda3: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard...
> hda: read_intr: status 0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
Error}

--
Thanks,
(Please do not contact me off list. My envolvment in user groups is

Jeremey Wise
jeremey.wise at agilysys.com

All opinions or information expressed here are personal in nature and do
not reflect the official possition of Agilysys Inc.