[wplug] autofs + nis under debian

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sat Aug 21 14:56:57 EDT 2004

I have a problem where I am pushing my autofs maps using nis, but the
debian client doens't appear to be using them. The nis server is located on
'A' and 'A' has the files auto.master and auto.home. Now 'B' is a client
and both 'A' and 'B' are running Debian Sid. On 'B' I can use ypcat to see
the normal files (passwd, shadow, group, etc.) as well as the autofs files
(auto.master and auto.home).  On 'B' I can login using the corresponding
entries in the maps bein pushed by 'A'. However when I restart autofs it
wont pick up the maps being pushed by the server.

The file nsswitch.conf looks like:

<file name=nsswitch.conf>
passwd:         nis compat
group:          nis compat
shadow:         nis compat
autofs:         nis files

hosts:          nis files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
</file>

So it should be using the autofs maps being pushed by the server. Now this
is the perplexing part -- at least to me. If I copy the file auto.home (but
not auto.master) from /etc on 'A' to /etc on 'B' and restart autofs, the
home stuff works like a charm. So it appears that auto.master is being read
correctly, but not the files being referenced inside of auto.master.

In the past I've used a Redhat server with a Redhat client and a Debian
server with a Redhat client, and I've had no problems with the auto.master
file and the files referenced inside of auto.master being pushed to the
clients. I've had this problem only when I've used Debian as both the
client and the server, but I've had it on three instances.

Can anyone offer any enlightenment as to why this is happening?

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E